The department of Basic Sciences has been established in the year 2008 aiming to strengthen the foundation of Science and Technology and nurture innovative ideas and approaches in the mind of individuals to bring development in the society and enable them to serve it as dependable human beings.
The department consists of three disciplines, viz., Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The department comprises of a number of highly qualified, dedicated and dynamic faculty members. Around 300 B.Tech., 100 MCA, 60 M.Tech students avail different courses taught by the department every year. Furthermore, around 20 research scholars are pursuing their PhD programme under the department.
The course contents are designed in such a way so that the students of technology are equipped with the necessary fundamentals to pursue their engineering courses. The department also strives to impart critical thinking and get students involved in innovative research works by introducing advanced concepts in science and technology.
The department is equipped with sophisticated laboratories namely engineering physics laboratory, engineering chemistry laboratory and organic chemistry research laboratory.
The department has organized two national conferences. It is also having number of research collaborations with reputed research institutes and universities of the country. The faculty members of the department have published a number of papers in reputed journals (many a times involving students right from undergraduate students to Ph. D research scholars), some with very high impact factor.
List of Faculty Members:
- Dr. Monmoyuri Baruah, Asst. Prof.(Senior) (Physics), HOD
- Fr. Joseph Nellanatt (Chemistry), Pro-Vice Chancellor
- Prof. Basil Koikara (Mathematics), Registrar
- Prof. J. N. Vishwakarma (Chemistry), Director of Research
- Dr. Samrat Dey, Asst. Prof. (Physics)
- Mrs. Sontara Konwar Boruah, Asst. Prof. (Chemistry)
- Dr. Nibedita Kapil, Asst. Prof. (Chemistry)
- Mr. Hemen Bharali, Asst. Prof.(Mathematics)
- Dr. Kanan Kumari Ojah, Asst. Prof. (Mathematics)
- Ms. Minakshi Biswas, Asst. Prof. (Mathematics)
- Ms. Banashri Sinha, Asst. Prof. (Mathematics)