Department of Mechanical was started in July 2013. The curriculum has been designed with keeping in mind the following points.
- To develop an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety manufacturability, and sustainability.
- To develop an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
To establish the department as a hub of quality technical education and research for aiding the industry and to strive for the upliftment of the North East Region and nation as a whole.
- To train the youth to be intellectually competent with strong fundamentals in Mechanical Engineering.
- To create an environment for carrying out fundamentals and interdisciplinary research to address the future needs and challenges of a society and the industry.
- To cultivate strong moral values and professional ethics to build them as responsible and environmentally conscious citizens.
- To motivate, nourish and mould the students to be dynamic leader and entrepreneurs.
Program Educational Objectives
- To develop the ability to design a system, component or process to meet the social and industrial requirements within realistic constraints.
- To achieve high level of technical expertise through extensive project work, experiments, industrial visits and regular symposiums.
- To inculcate professional ethics, leadership qualities and inherent creative instincts in students.
- To encourage lifelong learning and to foster the ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
At present the department is having the following well-equipped labs.
- Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics Lab
- Theory of Machine Lab
- Engineering Materials labb
- Thermodynamics Lab
- Applied Thermodynamics Lab
- Heat and Mass transfer Lab
- Mechanical Measurement and Metrology Lab
- Vibrations in Mechanical Systems Labb
- I. C. Engine Lab
- Engineering Mechanics Lab
- Engineering Drawing Hall
Mechanical Club has been established to enhance the technical skills, team spirit and individual talents through certain set of events organized by mechanical engineering department.
- The following activities are carried out from time to time:
- Conducting 3-D Modelling competition, inter and intra department for second year students.
- Quiz competition on basics and application of Mechanical Engineering in real world scenarios
- Project development and demonstration.
- Group presentation on current developments in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- Students’ Seminar on the topic of their interest confined to Design, Manufacturing and Thermal field.
List of faculty members
- Vikramjit Kakati -Associate Professor
- Mrs. Leena H. Nemade -Assistant Professor
- Mr. Pallav Gogoi -Assistant Professor
- Tapash Jyoti Kalita -Assistant Professor
- Kamaldeep Kalita -Assistant Professor
- Pranjal Sarma -Assistant Professor
- Abhishek Sarmah -Assistant Professor
- Sidharth Borkataky -Assistant Professor
- Harajit Das -Assistant Professor
- CE Quadros -Professor (Adjunct)
- Rupesh Kumar -Associate Professor (Adjunct)
- Mr. Abinash Baruah -Associate Professor (Adjunct)
- Mrinal Krishna Chaudhury -Associate Professor (Adjunct)