The contemporary social realities call for services and action for social change in the area of social development, welfare and crisis intervention that require professionally qualified human power, with specialized knowledge and skills. The effectiveness of social initiatives for development, social welfare, social action, and to begin a process of change through enabling the vulnerable sections of the society to participate fully in the overall development of the country is, thus, linked with the quality of human power employed in the development and welfare institutions, both governmental and non-governmental, and also in the people-oriented community-based social movements and services.
It is in this context, and in order to upgrade and enhance the quality of professional education and practice that the Department of Social Work (DSW) was established within the University, under the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. The DSW soon launched the Master of Social Work (MSW), a full time two-year residential post-graduate programme, and a Research programme leading to Ph.D. on 23rd August 2011, with the aim of training students to plan and execute an extensive range of social services and social welfare activities in order to bring about a social change. An innovative blend of theory, fieldwork and research is designed to provide the students with a variety of skills to enable them to be active practitioners and academics.
The focus of the ADBU Social Work programme is to foster among the students a sense of social commitment by providing them professional training and enabling them to address the needs of the marginalized sections of the society. The course curriculum is so designed that it facilitates and moulds the overall personality development of the students to take up challenges and career opportunities of this demanding and dynamic profession. It is the mandate of DSW to focus on issues pertaining to the Region of North East India.
The Social Work Department of Assam Don Bosco University seeks to:
- Achieve excellence in teaching, learning, research, practice and extension activities
- Promote critical thinking and innovative intervention in response to societal and environmental problems
- Mould professionally competent individuals who are sensitive and committed to the values and ethics of social work
- Create and foster an environment of justice and respect for all by promoting social consciousness, courage of conviction and appreciation for diversity
The MSW programme was flagged off on the 23rd of August, 2011 by Archbishop Thomas Menamperampel, SDB, in the presence of Fr. (Dr.) Stephen Mavely, Vice-Chancellor, faculty, staff and students of the ADBU. It marked a new beginning for the University as it set its foot in the social sciences education. This four-semester post-graduate programme in social work, approved under section 2f of the UGC Act (Ref. F. No.8-13/2009[CPP-I] dated 13 November 2009), has not only drawn students from all over the eight northeastern states but also continues to attract academicians and practitioners from all over the country and abroad.
Scaling up the activities and academic reaches of the Department, several conference, seminars and workshops have been organized since its inception. 3 batches of the Social Work students have graduated from the University and are all placed in various NGO’s, Universities, Government Agencies etc across the country.
The Department has organized the following Workshops:
- Workshop on Participatory Approach in Development.
- Workshop on Research Methodology and Statistical Analysis
- Orientation on role of youth in Red Ribbon Club (RRC) by Assam AIDS Control Society.
- Workshop on Social Media Application for Social Work in Assam Don Bosco University
- Workshop on Development Communications
- Orientation on UGC – JRF/NET
- Seminar on Politics of Local Governance in Northeast India
- Workshop on Management of Cooperative Societies.
- Fundraising Event for Swastyan Project
- Workshop on Social Advocacy and Action
- Seminar on Challenges of Healthcare for Women and Children in Northeast India.
- Workshop on Project Cycle Management
- Workshop on Social Analysis
- Workshop on Result Based Management
List of Faculty Members:
- Dr. Riju Sharma -Associate Professor
- Dr. Lukose PJ -HoD & Associate Professor
- Jacob Islary -Assistant Professor
- Victor Narzary -Assistant Professor
- Shanthalembi Lisham -Assistant Professor
- Fr. Johnson KP Pathrose -Assistant Professor
- PT Dominic -Assistant Professor
- Ainamlin Dkhar -Assistant Professor
- Joby Mani -Assistant Professor
- Jerry Thomas -Professor (Adjunct)
- Dr. Dev Manti -Professor (Adjunct)
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Attaparia -Professor (Adjunct)
- Pranjit Hazarika -Associate Professor (Adjunct)
- Melvil Pereira -Associate Professor (Adjunct)
- Luke Daimary -Associate Professor (Adjunct)
- KS Jose -Assistant Professor (Adjunct)
- Dr. Priya Treesa Thomas -Assistant Professor (Adjunct)