Mr. Arup Baruah
Assistant Professor, ADBU
PhD (Pursuing), M.Tech (Computer Sc. & IT, IIT Kharagpur), B.E. (Comp. Sc. & Engg., Jorhat Engg. College)
Area of Interest:
Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Embedded Systems, Mobile Communications
Experiencea. Teaching Experience
12 Years of teaching and research experience
- Guest Lecturer, Dept. of Comp. Sc. & Engg., Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam.
- Guest Lecturer, Dept. of Comp. Sc, & Engg., North Eastern Regional Institute of Science & Technology (NERIST), Nirjuli, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh.
9+ years of industry experience developing real-time embedded software for Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) base station controllers and mobile phones.
- Senior Software Engineer, Kyocera Wireless Corporation, San Diego, California, USA. Developed embedded software for Kyocera’s CDMA mobile phones.
- Software Engineer, Ericsson Wireless Communications, San Diego, California, USA. Developed call processing software for Ericsson’s Base Station Controller (BSC) for CDMA mobile phone networks.
- Software Engineer, Qualcomm India Inc., Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Developed tools for analyzing diagnostic and performance data collected by Qualcomm’s Base Station Manager (BSM) for CDMA mobile phone networks.
- Software Engineer, Future Software Pvt. Ltd., Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Ported process control software from OS/2 to Windows NT platform.
Research Publications(only best 5)
- Gitimoni Talukdar, Pranjal Protim Borah, Arup Baruah. A Survey of Named Entity Recognition in Assamese and other Indian Languages. International Conference On Natural Language Processing and Cognitive Computing (ICONACC), 10-12 March 2014, Imphal, Manipur.
- Sumit Kumar Jha, Riddhi Kumari, Arup Baruah. Controlling PowerPoint Presentation using Hand Gestures. (Poster Presentation) National Conference on Emerging Global Trends in Engineering and Technology (EGTET), 7-8 March 2014, Guwahati, Assam.
- Bismita Choudhury, R. Das, A. Baruah, "A Novel Steganalysis Method based on Histogram Analysis", Advanced Computer and Communication Engineering Technology, Volume 315, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, pp 779-789, 2nd November 2014, ISBN 978-3-319-07673-7 (@ SCOPUS)
- Gitimoni Talukdar, Pranjal Protim Borah, Arup Baruah, "Supervised Named Entity Recognition in Assamese language", IEEE's International Conference on Contemporary Computing and Informatice, IC3I - 2014, 27-29 November 2014, Mysore, India. (@ SCOPUS)
- Pranjal Protim Borah, Gitimoni Talukdar, Arup Baruah, "Assamese Word Sense Disambiguation using Supervised Learning", IEEE's International Conference on Contemporary Computing and Informatics, IC3I - 2014, 27-29 November 2014, Mysore, India. (@ SCOPUS)
- 1st class 3rd position in B.E. Computer Sc. & Engg. under Dibrugarh University, Assam (1995).
- J.E.C. Merit Prize for securing the highest marks in aggregate among all engineering branches in the 2nd year B.E. examinations of Dibrugarh University, 1993.
- Qualified GATE 1995 with All India Rank of 874.
- 1st topper with a score of 98% in the NPTEL Online Certification course "Artificial Intelligence: Knowledge Representation and Reasoning" course conducted by Prof. Deepak Khemani from IIT Madras. (http://nptel.ac.in/noc/individual_course.php?id=noc16-cs02)
- Consolation prize in the poster presentation category in EGTET-2014.
- Guided a DBCET team that got selected for the final round of IBM Great Mind Challenge (2013), a national level software design and development competition conducted by IBM.
- The project "Development of a Gesture Command Based Smart Home Environment" proposed by me is one of the 100 projects selected globally to participate in the "xplore New Automation Award 2015" competition conducted by Phoenix Contact, Germany. This project received a funding of 3000 Euros.
- The project "Development of Powerpoint Presentation Application that Supports Gesture Based Commands" guided by me received the 1st prize in the Science and Engineering Fair 2015 conducted by Regional Science Centre, Guwahati, under Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India.
- Represented IIT Kharagpur in the 33rd Inter-IIT sports meet (1997) as a member of the cricket team. IIT Kharagpur was the champion team in the cricket competition.
- Represented Jorhat Engineering College in the Inter-College cricket competition conducted by Dibrugarh University in 1994 and 1995. JEC was runners-up in both the years.
- N.C.C. B-Certificate holder. Attended the All India Vayu Sainik camp (1992), a national level camp, held at Secunderabad.