The Department of Civil Engineering, one of the youngest members of the Don Bosco College of Engineering and Technology, was established in the year 2011 with an aim to provide state of the art education to the students through quality teaching guided by innovative research and consultancy as well as societal needs towards sustainable development. The first batch of graduate course in civil engineering started with fifty six students. Since then the number of students joining the department has increased considerably.
The department with a strong team of well qualified and diversely specialized faculty members and staff are constantly involved in building a strong conceptual foundation and promoting innovative and original thinking among students to help them face the future challenges and develop an educational environment that is conducive for them to reach their full potential.
The department promotes entrepreneurship in close coordination with the Entrepreneurship Development and Incubation centre. Also various industrial visits, field trips and survey camps are organized to help students sharpen their theoretical and practical knowledge and enabling them to be abreast of latest technological developments. In addition to this the students undergo internship under the guidance of experts from various reputed organizations.
The department is also involved in organizing various seminars, symposiums, workshops, training programs for the benefit of students. Numerous faculty development programs like ISTE workshops on various aspects of Civil Engineering are also conducted.
The curriculum is designed in such a way that timely induction of new courses help students to handle any competitive exams like GATE, IES, PSUs etc and also take up further research and industrial work. This flexibility in curriculum is further enhanced through different research oriented projects assigned to students by the faculty members. Online courses in engineering under the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) and QEEE (Quality Enhancement in Engineering Education) courses conducted by different IITs have also been taken up by the department to help emulate an academic culture of the highest order.
Degrees offeredThe Department currently offers the following degrees:
- B.Tech in Civil Engineering.
Some of the facilities provided to students to make them Industry-ready:
- Training on civil engineering softwares like AutoCAD, STAAD PRO., ERDAS IMAGINE, and various open source software.
- QEEE (Quality Enhancement in Engineering Education) classes on different important topics of Civil Engineering conducted by IITs.
- Training/Workshop on GIS and Remote Sensing with QGIS (Open Source) software.
- Colloquium and Symposiums with invited guests.
- Regular Talks and discussion with invited Industry experts.
- Comprehensive survey camps and Geology field trips.
- Various industrial visits.
- Visit to Meteorological Department, Guwahati Airport and Survey of India.
- Industrial Training (summer and winter) programs.
- Guidance for Live Industrial projects.
- Regular job related training and placements activities etc.
Infrastructure (List of labs)
- Concrete Technology Lab
- Geotechnical Engineering Lab
- Transportation Engineering Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Engineering Survey Lab
- Engineering Geology Lab
- Engineering Drawing Lab
- Environmental Engineering Lab
- Engineering Mechanics Lab