The Department of Mass Communication at the University was launched on 1 August 2014, offering Masters in Mass Communication with special focus on Convergent Media.
The media world today is witnessing a rare convergence where the specialist is in reality a jack of all trades – he/she is a producer, a director, a cameo actor, a scriptwriter, a copywriter, a video/audio editor, a PR campaigner, a cameraman, a journalist, a reporter, an advocacy enthusiast…
Then there is another world out there for critical commentators to keep a tab on the ways in which media reflects, represents and influences the world. The media platforms are so varied, pervasive, influential and fast changing that it is a continuous challenge to keep pace with the latest trends in media-related industries.
Our programme is designed to equip you with a thorough knowledge of this rolling media landscape - the entire media spectrum from journalism to digital video production, the gamut of social media, citizen journalism, development communication and Convergent Media and Technologies the world of public relations.
The New Media revolution and its consequences for media and communication studies, requires an upgraded discipline. The courses offered in Mass Communication at the University lay a special focus on the use of Free and open-source software (FOSS) leading to the innovative venture of Media Studies 2.0. The Future is here at Don Bosco University!
The Department of Mass Communication seeks to:
- Achieve excellence in teaching, learning and research.
- Promote critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Equip learners by combining the theoretical aspects with creative innovation and entrepreneurship practices.
- Mould ethical and socially responsible media entrepreneurs and professionals.
- Provide knowledge base and consultancy services to the community in the field of media and developmental communication.
- PhD in Mass Communication
- MA in Mass Communication (New Media)
- MA in Mass Communication (Development Communication)
- MA in Mass Communication (Public Relations)
- MA in Mass Communication (Digital Film and Television Production)
- PG Diploma in Mass Communication and New Media
- PG Diploma in Mass Communication and Development Communication
- PG Diploma in Mass Communication and Public Relations
- Certificate in Mass Communication
- # Certificate in Professional Communication Skills
- # Certificate in New Media and Citizen Journalism
- # Certificate in Media Management and Entrepreneurship
*Each Specialization and Certificate course would require a specific number of students.
# Eligibility: 10+2. Courses will be offered in May/June or November/December
List of Faculty Members
- Shiji James -Assistant Professor
- Dr Sriparna Pathak -Assistant Professor
- Dr. Juri Hazarika -Assistant Professor
- Kaushik Bhuyan -Assistant Professor
- Tapati Basu -Professor (Adjunct)
- Dr. WADP Wanigasundera -Professor (Adjunct)
- Dr. George Plathottam -Professor (Adjunct)
- Dr. Etawanda Saiborne -Associate Professor (Adjunct)
- Dr. Umarani Pappuswamy -Associate Professor (Adjunct)